Introducing: Bronydom Radio v2.0August 30, 2014, 6:00 AM
GeekBrony ❘ 0
Blog Post, Celebration, Maintenance, Music, Radio, Update
We finally did it!
After several weeks of work, including programming, debugging, having little to no API’s to work with, and a few days worth of planning, we are proud to introduce Bronydom Radio v2.0! This time around, we’ve completely replaced the buggy SAM Broadcaster setup that we’ve been using for a year. Sometimes, using that program, it would play two songs, become totally unresponsive, have requests stuck in the queue, and it would always take up more than 50% of load on our server.
We’ve replaced that complicated, buggy system with a new system that we’ve recently configured, called Liquidsoap! Advantages over the old system:
- Crisper quality
- Less intensive on our servers (before and after)
- More configurability
- Request system unlikely to bug
- Live Shows integrate well with the Auto DJ (better transition)
- Mic access to broadcasters (to announce something)
- Our own request system (say goodbye to that old system)
- For the people with slower internet, we have a 64kbps stream as well! The live shows work there too this time around!
- Easy import of new music (we used to have to drag it in the program one by one, now we can just put it in the directory without worry)
- Better volume balancing (so it doesn’t hurt your ears or distort)
- It’s free and open source, which means it doesn’t have to cost money.
- Doesn’t crash.
- Allows for ACTUAL seamless 24/7 streaming without interruptions.
- Doesn’t require a GUI, which means that if something happens, it’ll be an easier fix.
See? That’s a bunch of advantages!
I really hope that the transition was as smooth to you as it was to us.
Also, the request system has been updated with an all-new layout! Just go to http://req.bronydom.net/ and see the new changes!
Thank you for being here and for listening to Bronydom Radio.